My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://madamab.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 28, 2008

He Said, She Said Journamalism

Oy. Every so often, I am reminded why I never watch news on the Teevee.

I was looking for a weather report yesterday morning, and I settled on New York 1. While I waited, the "news" came on.

The first thing I saw was footage of Barack Obama. Apparently, he was speaking about the economy. (I had the sound muted at first and missed most of what he was saying.) Then, a quote from Senator John McCain was displayed and read by the newsbot, basically stating that Senator Obama didn't understand the economy the way John McCaca McMaverick McCain, the most awesomest economic brain evah, did.

Then the newsbot went to the next story.

Did your head explode yet?

I mean, seriously. This type of reportage is like watching two three-year-olds arguing about who hit whom first. Fergodssake, was what Obama said true? Was it not true? Does John McCain understand the economy? What are McCain's economic proposals compared to Obama's? Which would actually benefit American workers, and which would not?

Okay, stop laughing. I know that the days of fact-based television journalism are long since past, although I hope, not forever. I have stated before that our Fourth Estate is broken. Hell, there are blogs that are devoted full-time to the horrors of today's corporate media. MediaMatters.org and The Daily Howler are two of the very best.

But man, every once in a while I get a glimpse of why so many Americans are uninformed about politics. It's not their fault. They watch the Teevee, and they get Twinkies and Doritos instead of chicken, rice and vegetables.

We aren't stupid. Our media is.

It's a damn shame.

4 comments:

Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

I'm increasingly understanding why every time there's a revolution in a third world country, the first thing they do is take over the media.

We're long overdue for a similar revolution here.

Next time Shrub comes to my city, instead of protesting the President, I'm protesting the White House Press Corpse. Between now and then, help me think of a great slogan for my protest sign, eh?

:-)

By the way, how I enter the "word verification" if I can't freaking READ the damn thing?!! I HATE CAPTCHA!!!!!!

madamab said...

Next time Shrub comes to my city, instead of protesting the President, I'm protesting the White House Press Corpse. Between now and then, help me think of a great slogan for my protest sign, eh?

Ha! How about,

"Stop Pretending Everything's Okay!"

;-)

(sorry about the Captcha stuff, I do get trolls sometimes.)

sister of ye said...

Word! That's why I get irritated by progressives who constantly disparage "the sheeple." Well, not everyone has the time, resources or interest to haunt the intertubes. They can only go by what they hear and often mistakenly assume they can trust.

It's especially ironic when so many of the disparagers have fallen for this year's content-free Dem product roll-out.

madamab said...

It's especially ironic when so many of the disparagers have fallen for this year's content-free Dem product roll-out.

Once again, we agree! Check out my post on Barack Obama, the product.